- How can I be sure that voters can only vote one time?
- Ballotbin sends each voter a registration code that can only be used once.
- What if i dont have the voters' email addresses?
- Ballotbin now has voter self-registration. Configure your bin for self-registration by changing the security method in the Advanced settings of the properties tab. You will see a URL next to "Registration Notices" on the properties tab. Your voters can go to this address to register themselves for the bin. Alternatively, they can register by sending an email to a special address that is displayed in the same part of the properties tab.
- What if my voters dont have email addresses?
- It is still possible to have a ballotbin election. The solution in this case has two parts. Part one is to select security method #2 from the advanced properties area in the properties tab. Part two of the solution is to enter id numbers or names (no tabs or spaces, use underscores to separate first and last names) in the voters tab. You must then send out a rigistration letter from the notices tab, select "now" as the timing option. All of the individual voter codes will be sent to you instead of being sent to the voters, you will then distribute them to the voters at your school.
- Is there a quicker alternative to entering in id number or names if my voters dont have email addresses?
- If you dont have an excel spreadsheet with id numbers or student names, then you can use excel to make a numbered list from 1 to X and then copy and paste that into the voter-input box on the voters tab.
- I would like to know if the registration key could be something like XXX,user@email Because I would not like to spam everyone just to get them to vote, I would like to post an announcement in forums for instance with a generic code and let ppl vote in that way.
- If you dont want to spam people, the next best alternative is to have people self-register. Then, you post the registration link on your blog, etc. They will go to our site, enter their email address, and receive a message w/a link that lets them vote.
We do this to limit the # of times a person can vote. Without this, people could vote as many times as they wished. With this method, they can still vote many times if they have many email addresses. If you want to be sure each person can only vote once, then you must input their emails and not allow them to self-register.
- How many voters can I have for one survey or election?
- There is no limit to the number of voters who may participate. However, be aware that if you have many thousands of voters, it will take some time
to send all of the registration letters to them. Therefore, be sure to send them out at least one day before the start of your election/survey.
- Can every voter have the same voter code?
- No. The purpose of the code is to limit each voter to one vote. If you used the same code for all voters, they could each vote for someone else or vote as many times as they like. This would ruin the results of the vote. Most requests for this have come from elementary or other schools. The solution in this case is to select security method #2 from the advanced properties area in the properties tab. Then, you must send out a registration notice from the notices tab, select "now" for timing. All of the individual voter codes will be sent to you instead of being sent to the voters, you will then distribute them to the voters at your school.
- How secure is BallotBin?
- The system has been designed with security in mind, all software made by humans to date has been found to have security weaknesses. If
you are seriously concerned about security, please email email@example.com before creating your election or survey.
The codes and notices have been sent out but the voting isn't open even though it's past the time it should be Open? Please Help
- Please read the note right below the timezone field on the properties tab. You must adjust for daylight savings yourself. Eastern Standard Time is not the same as Eastern Daylight Time. The easiest way to fix this is to make the start date yesterday
- Who will be able to see the results of the
- You can
configure the results to be shown to:
voters during election
anyone during election
anyone after election
Is there anything to prohibit a person from forwarding the email to someone and having them participate in the survey?
There is technically no way to do this. Each of the links that gets emailed allows only one vote, but the original recipient can forward the email to someone else.
I want to set up a vote for images. How do I do this?
If you want an election for images, you must upload the images to somewhere (there are plenty of free servers out there), then input the html to include the image (eg: <img href="http://www.geocities.com/bla.gif"> Logo 1</code>) into the candidate fields.
How much does Ballotbin cost?
Nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Ballotbin is free of cost. Ignore the "credits" you will never be charged any credits. You are welcome to make donations, however.
Will the voter email addresses remain private and only be used for voting notification?
Yes. We do not spam. We do not use your voters' email addresses for any purpose other than notifying them of your election and only when you send the notifications.
The only proof we can offer is our track-record. During the five years that Ballotbin has been serving the public, we have never once spammed or sold email addresses.
Our only sources of revenue are donations and Google Ads.
How are ranked pairs votes counted? There seems to be a lot of counts.
Candidates are assigned more points (counts) the higher up they are listed. If you have 5 candidates. the one at the top gets 5 "counts", the one in the second row gets 4, and so on, the one at the bottom gets 1.
In a ranked-pairs election group, why is the total count for all the options greater than the number of voters in my bin?
When you use ranked-pairs and there are N options, whichever option a voter ranks highest will get N votes in favor. The second-highest will get N-1 and so on.
The lowest-ranked will not get any votes in favor. If you add up the votes for all of the options (and often even if you take only the votes for the
highest-ranked option) they will be greater than the # of voters registered for your bin.
If I have a long list of emails in an excel spreadsheet, how can I add them as voters to a Bin?
Make sure that your spreadsheet contains only one column, with a list of the email addresses. Save the spreadsheet in CSV (comma separated value) format (file -> save as).
Do not manually add commas to each email address in the file. Go to the voters tab. Click on "Browse ..." (IE/FF) or "Chose File..."(Chrome),
select the file & click OK. Click on the add voters button right below the file name.
- If you
have a question that is not listed here, please Contact Us